Saturday 14 November 2015

I Heart Drugstore Makeup Tag!

Hey Guys, i'm back after my hiatus after my surgery and hopefully am more up to blogging now, although we'll take it slowly, thank you for baring with me! 
I'm just going to throw this out there, These are all my own opinions and although you might not agree with them, and what works for me might not work for you, it's okay, and we're all different so embrace it!
Continuing from this, i had a little bit of a research about what tags and stuff to do as i've not really been up to writing a full review or post (but that will be back soon i promise), and i really liked the look of this one so here it is!

1. What is your favorite drugstore makeup brand overall?
I really love different brands at the drugstore for different reasons, for me they all have different strengths and i turn for different ones for different products. But at the moment, i'd probably say Rimmel as an old favourite, or L'Oreal for currently. I'd also have to give an honourable mention to Makeup Revolution and Freedom which are my budget brands that consistently perform well against other products. 

2. What are your favorite face, cheek and lip products?
Face: Currently my favourite foundation is the L'Oreal Infalliable, i'm a little obsessed with that and i've done a whole blog post on it if you want to know more but it's just excellent value for money, coverage and lasting power without being drying. My all time favourite concealer is actually a highlighting concealer from Maybelline that i have also reviewed but i've also got a soft spot for the Collection Lasting Perfection because who doesn't. My favourite powder of all time is the Bourjois Healthy Balance powder as it's a really flawless, finely milled powder that lasts a really long time on my skin.
Cheek: My favourite cheek products primarily come from Makeup Revolution although i do love NYX blushes for their amazing blendability and range of colours. I must admit, i've never found one brand that really does everything for me from the drugstore in terms of cheek products, but then i don't really use them all that often, so i'm not an expert on it.
Lips: Rimmel kill it in the lip product department, i would definitly say that their Kate Moss lipsticks are easily my favourites and i just love their colour selection and choice of finishes. They have something for everyone and i'd say they are easily some of the best value for money at the drugstore in terms of lip products. They are just consistantly excellent.

3. Least favorite product?
Ermmmmm, i have to say that i'm not a fan of the L'Oreal dupe of the Touche Eclat. It's very streaky and actually seems to remove my undereye makeup rather then add coverage. I was really disappointed in this product as i was expecting more from this for the money compared to other drugstore alternatives such as the Maybelline one that i love.

4. What is the best makeup bargain?
Just Freedom as a range. I recently did a haul and got so much stuff for under £20. It was insane. I really think a lot of people miss out on products from the super budget brands as they assume the quality is reflective of the price which i would totally disagree with. It's 100% worth trying stuff out and saving your money because sometimes the lower cost brands are so good compared to the more expensive equivalent. If i needed to name a product, i'd say the eyebrow pomade is such a high end product and yet is only £5?! Definitely worth checking out! 

5. What is your favorite underdog product? (Something you love that often gets overlooked?)
The low- cost brand essence which is available pretty readily in Europe and the US as far as i am aware, but is a little bit harder to come by in the UK, being available only really in Wilko's, is actually a really good brand in general for makeup. I especially love the lip products, which for very little money are really lovely quality, long lasting and comfortable. The blushes are also a highlight for me and generally there hasn't been much that i have tried from the brand that i haven't enjoyed. But from UK bloggers especially, i feel like there isn't that much discussion about them which is a shame as i think they are a really good low budget option in the drugstore. Okay it's potentially not as accessible as if it was in an actual drugstore like Boots or Superdrug, but all in all, i think it is worth a try as a lot of their products are great for the money. If i had to recommend a specific product, their lip glosses in the matte or shiny finish are really nice quality and really comfortable, and that is coming from a person who classically doesn't enjoy glosses, so if you are they are definitely worth a try. Also, maybe the lip liners too if, you know, you were already looking.....

6. A drugstore product that is overpriced?
A thing that really bothers me is that so many brands are so much cheaper in the states such as Max Factor/ Covergirl. I'm not sure i've ever tried anything from Max Factor which is a shame as it could be a really great brand, but i don't think the packaging is particularly appealing and the prices put me off when i know i have things i enjoy from cheaper brands that do the job just fine. I can't say individual products are overpriced because i haven't tried them, but i can say from my point of view, i feel i am put off by the price for sure.

7. Show your best drugstore dupe(s)!!
I don't have that many high end products to start with, but Mac lipsticks are my kryptonite in the high end and i do have a few that i'd definitely say i have duped in the drugstore and i would save your money on. One of these is Maybelline Creamy Matte in 'Divine Wine' being super similar in colour and finish to Mac 'Diva'. The Maybelline one if i had to be super picky is perhaps a little more purple as opposed to the slightly more redness of 'Diva' but you can hardly tell at all and for the price difference, it is nothing. Plus, the Maybelline one is creamier and therefore could be argued is more comfortable on the lips and although i personally do prefer the Mac one, It's worth considering if matte lipsticks are not your thing.
 Another is for the limited edition Giambattista Valli lipstick in 'Charlotte' which is really difficult to get your hands on now, which can be duped for Rimmel Kate Moss Matte lipstick in '111 Kiss of Life'. I'd say the only difference is that the Rimmel is slightly more orange, and is slightly shinier, but for the price difference and the availability, this is as close a dupe as any.
Top to Bottom: Rimmel's '111 Kiss of Life', 'Mac's 'Charlotte', Maybelline's 'Divine Wine' and Mac's 'Diva'
I also think that Makeup Revolution make incredible dupes of products, so close sometimes that they put it on the display that they are dupes. The one's i have personally tried and just found amazing are the Naked Palette dupes from Makeup Revolution called the Iconic 1, 2 and 3. These are really nice quality and if you don't want to splash the cash on the Urban Decay, or like me don't think you'd use the colours potentially as much to justify them, then these are a brilliant alternative. I also really enjoy the Iconic Pro's, the dupes of the Lorac Pro, which i really love. I don't have the Lorac but i've heard great things and i intend to pick one of them up one day, but until them, in order to fill it's place, the Makeup Revolution is a really nice palette in it's own right. Other products i'd keep in mind if you are looking for dupes are the highlighters as i love them and i have heard rumours about them being excellent dupes for the notorious Hourglass Ambient Palette, and considering the price, i wouldn't dream of picking up the Hourglass after trying these as they work just as well for me. 

8. Drugstore product that isn't worth the hype?
Dare i say it, i'm not a massive fan of Maybelline lip products. From what i tried, yes they are nice but they are more expensive then Rimmel for example and i'm just not a huge fan of them. I don't like the smell very much, to me it's not like fruity or sweet, it's like perfume, which is not appealing to me at all as a lip product. I'm also a let down by the packaging as i think it look pretty cheap and i've never liked the big lid and the tiny bit at the bottom to pull the tube out with, i just find it a little awkward. The formula's are usually reasonable, and they are good quality, but there is just something about them for me that i just am not such a fan of. But not everyone is the same, and i know a lot of people love these, so try them before you take my word for it. 

Thanks for reading guys, 
Love
Jo x 

No comments:

Post a Comment